apr-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r390549 - /apr/apr-util/trunk/include/apr_dbd.h
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 03:10:28 GMT
Quoting Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>:

> 1.3.x is compatible with 1.2.x in the sense that programs compiled
> against 1.2.x must continue to run against 1.3.x.  The reverse is not
> true, which is why in minor version number bumps we can add new
> functions.  To remove functions (or macros for that matter, although
> that's for reasons of compile time compat, not runtime) we need to
> bump the major version.

Right. Given that, then we can have (like you said) a bunch of new
name macros defined for all the exisiting functions with incorrect
names in 1.3.x. The get_name functions can indeed become name_get
immediately - there should be no harm in that.

And 2.x can then reverse the situation by defining backward
compatibility macros for incorrect names and have proper new function
names, while deprecating the old ones.

Or should we just keep the existing broken names until 2.x? It'll be
less hassle...

--
Bojan