apr-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>
Subject Re: Documentation Project
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:08:37 GMT
On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 16:13 -0400, Tom Bradford wrote:

> Sorry, but Doxygen and a slideshow with little to no actual
> information (both of which I've already seen) do not a suite of
> documentation make.Doxygen is as valuable in the grand scheme of
> things as is Javadoc, and that's not much because neither are able to
> paint an overall picture of contextual or global cohesion.

Actually, pages like this:

http://apr.apache.org/docs/apr/

should contain the glue you're looking for. Probably the most
straightforward thing to do is to write up plain text files and include
them verbatim on this page during doc generation, like this:

http://httpd.apache.org/apreq/docs/libapreq2/

but a lot more detailed, of course. Doxygen can be bent to deliver not
just API documentation, but also any other document we want to put in
it. The benefit would be obvious - potential, novice and expert users
can use one and only documentation system for APR/APU, from tutorials,
philosophy and organisation to a full API reference.

But I do get your point. I found myself that many times I wasn't quite
clear on how things were supposed to hang together in APR/APU and the
only way to really find out was to look at the source.

--
Bojan