apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Fwd: APR resolver?
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2006 00:20:02 GMT
> On Wednesday 29 March 2006 22:36, Garrett Rooney wrote:
>
> > My primary question is will it just be a wrapper around the system DNS
> > resolution functions, which would result in blocking calls, or would
> > it be an implementation of the occasionally-proposed APR async DNS
> > library.
> >
> > An async DNS library would be more work, but it's also much more
> > useful in the long run.
>
> To be any use to mod_smtpd, it presumably has to work asynchronously.
>
> But does that have to be done at the APR level?  A quick look at the
> relevant manpages suggests that RFC2553 and POSIX give us
> asynchronous lookups for free.

I'm not sure if it has to be done at the APR level or not.  If we can
wrap around existing platform functionality, go for it.  I do suspect
though, that async functionality is not likely to exist everywhere
(thus the existence of things like adns and ares, which do async dns
already), so we might be stuck writing our own anyway.

-garrett