apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Fwd: APR resolver?
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:36:05 GMT
> On Wednesday 29 March 2006 18:36, Rian A Hunter wrote:
> > this was ignorantly sent to dev@httpd
>
> ISTR you had a good reply there, too:-)
>
> > I know there is apr_sockaddr_info_get but this doesn't handle getting mx
> > records (or other DNS record types). Should a "resolver" API be added to
> > APR. Actually I think yes and I think I'm going to implement this. Any
> > objections?
>
> Would you plan to do this by adding to the existing apr_network_io
> or by introducing a new module?  At first glance, the first looks best,
> provided it doesn't break back-compatibility.

My primary question is will it just be a wrapper around the system DNS
resolution functions, which would result in blocking calls, or would
it be an implementation of the occasionally-proposed APR async DNS
library.

An async DNS library would be more work, but it's also much more
useful in the long run.

-garrett