apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] APR-Util 1.2.5
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:15:17 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> Feel free to take a guess as to whether your vote will influence mine
> in the least.  =)  -- justin

Oh of course - it's a pretty meager -1, and I didn't plan to bring it up until
I saw a strong reason for a -1 on apr :)  And I'm certainly not worried about
influencing anyone who don't contribute to the code base - but I am concerned
about trying to find common ground for the progress of those developers who
find their code stalled for want of a new release.  I am trying to communicate
what are issues, even if those issues are ignored 8 hours later.  Even when we
disagree, I respect the opinions of all active committers.

I'm simply out-of-sync with the the other active folks in terms of correctness,
of expecting apr to be 'bug free' on modern OS's.  That's cool - of course
I'm welcome to continue to run my own private apr, and continue to express
my personal opinion of yet another half baked 2.next release.  APR is still
incredibly useful code even with the rough edges, and it's always improving.

But I still have hope that there is a happy medium of encouraging lots of
creative work and also having correct code.  Which is why the Monday morning
tarballs didn't bug me much - just figured it would be 2.2.2 before something
useful was released, and yet we would have some fresh bug reports to work from
and continue to make apr, and httpd, better.  And I had simply decided not to
vote + or -, unless someone else strongly believed in a showstopper such as
Garrett raised tonight.

Of course I'm tempted to +1 1.2.5, giving darwin the respect it deserves (in
consideration of the respect that other platforms are given in this community).
But that would be petty ;-)

Bill