apr-dev mailing list archives

From Rian A Hunter <r...@MIT.EDU>
Subject Re: Fwd: APR resolver?
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 23:43:27 GMT
Quoting Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>:
> My primary question is will it just be a wrapper around the system DNS
> resolution functions, which would result in blocking calls, or would
> it be an implementation of the occasionally-proposed APR async DNS
> library.
>
> An async DNS library would be more work, but it's also much more
> useful in the long run.

For my purposes I need a synchronous resolver since I create a thread anyway,
and the work I plan to do isn't high-priority.

But I will be implementing an async resolver though! My question to
everyone is
what kind of async?

* You give the API a callback and expect it to call your callback with
the query
data on a separate thread. (this assumes threads)

* The API works in some other process abstraction (through a process,
or thread
or mystery) and when processing in your thread absolutely needs the query data
you do ask the API if it's done yet.

* Your idea here

I've seen implementations of both and I am impartial, I ask the APR community
for their preference. Where it makes sense it will wrap around the
system's DNS
functions simply because that is the only valid way to use the currently
configured DNS servers.

Rian