apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r384715 - /apr/apr/trunk/test/Makefile.in
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 09:00:34 GMT
On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 02:12:12AM -0600, William Rowe wrote:
> Joe Orton wrote:
> >On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 01:59:50AM -0600, William Rowe wrote:
> >>Uhmmm.... without this change, the tools are linked to the install path
> >>of the apr library, and they don't load the version just compiled into
> >>the .libs/ directory - causing problems with commits like your
> >>optimization
> >>from this morning.
> >
> >On what platform, using what version of libtool?  That's exactly the
> >opposite of what -no-install should do (and does, and always has, for
> >me).
>
> Stock flavor 1.5 installed on OS/X 10.3.
>
> The -no-install flag appears to be incompatible with the fact that we built
> the libapr-1.dylib as -rpath, both the .la flavors in apr/ and apr/.libs/
> (a symlink) abspath the linkage location to the system path, ergo any linked
> binary to those .la's are similarly hard-pathed to the system path of the
> libraries' final target location.

With no sane linker will you get hard-coded paths to the installed
library, but I remember hearing about other cases where the OS X linker
cannot be made to do the right thing (I think it bites SVN in a similar
way).

But the rest of us need not suffer, I'll add a configure check for this.
Without -no-install you also cannot just "gdb ./testall" which is a
major pain.

Please revert the change on 1.2.x at least, it's a regression.

joe