apr-dev mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: apr_file_flush fluxored
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2006 05:10:16 GMT
On 2/8/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Apparently we've completely neglected the mutex locking around the public
> apr_file_flush API.  From an external perspective, if a mutex exists, it
> must be used.  From an internal perspective, we invoke flush from within
> an already-mutexed block of code (lock, flush, operation, unlock) so we
> absolutely don't want to mutex it.
>
> I'm thinking of an apr_file_internal_flush API for the existing non-mutexed
> flavor, and make the public apr_file_flush API obtain the mutex where it's
> appropriate, and invoke apr_file_internal_flush inside the mutex code.
>
> Thoughts?

Were you planning on getting this in before the next release?  I
thought you had mentioned that you were sometime last week, but time's
moving on, and I'm having trouble justifying waiting to myself when
this problem has existed for so long with zero people actually
complaining about it until now.

I mean I'm not complaining about all the stuff that's gotten fixed
over the past week or so, but if you're expecting us to wait on this,
it would be good to see some patches...

-garrett