apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 0.9.9 Release
Date Sat, 04 Feb 2006 18:48:50 GMT
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> As before, but this time with the 0.9.x branch.  Here's a vote for the
> new 0.9.9 release tarballs, now available at
> http://apr.apache.org/dev/dist/.
>
> The only changes are a win32 compilation fix, a last minute win32
> specific bugfix, a new test for that bug, and some brand spanking new
> version numbers.
>
> Anyway, you know the drill:
>
>  +1  -1  for release:
>  [ ] [ ] apr-0.9.9
>  [ ] [ ] apr-util-0.9.9
>
> Vote early, vote often.  Again.

-1 for apr-util-0.9.9 - for licensing issues alone.  Just in case the scope
of this issue isn't clear, I obtained an svn binary for my Solaris 10 box, for
example.  It is linked to libgdbm, and through deliberate fault of the .pkg'er
who  created it, it does not bear a valid LICENSE, NOTICE, or COPYRIGHT.  We
have created this scenario for well meaning users, distributors and bundlers,
and we must close it.

+/-0 for apr-0.9.9, no showstopper, but quite a few lingering quirks that
we've fixed and are in the processing of fixing.

My preference is for a long-lived 0.9 and 1.2 release, so that we can return
to looking at the next 1.3 (or 2.0) release with the new functionality we choose
to add to the library.  But that's a preference, not a vote :)  If others prefer
we continue to release early/often, I won't object strongly.

Bill