apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r374743 - /apr/apr/branches/1.2.x/STATUS
Date Sat, 04 Feb 2006 01:02:55 GMT
Garrett Rooney wrote:

> On the other hand, it's probably a fairly reasonable change.  I
> eagerly await your patch to reverse the default behavior of the GDBM
> detection code, since you seem to feel this is of critical importance,
> but I still don't think it's a showstopper.

Note that I did *not* showstopper any linkages to LGPL code.  Those, too,
are likely to be covered under the new policy.

But LGPL detection, e.g. libiconv, does not polute our license in the same
manner as GDBM and Sleepycat DB.

It's a showstopper if we violate licensing terms, period.  In fact a case
could be made to take down www.apache.org/dist/apr/ today.  But I think that
the better solution is to immediately and agressively address this flagrent
stealth license now, and release a version that users and distributors clearly
are aware of any licensing impacts of their --with-xxx decisions.

Bill