apr-dev mailing list archives

From Colm MacCarthaigh <c...@stdlib.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 0.9.9 Release
Date Sat, 04 Feb 2006 19:04:58 GMT
On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 12:48:50PM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> -1 for apr-util-0.9.9 - for licensing issues alone.  Just in case the
> scope of this issue isn't clear, I obtained an svn binary for my
> Solaris 10 box, for example.  It is linked to libgdbm, and through
> deliberate fault of the .pkg'er who  created it, it does not bear a
> valid LICENSE, NOTICE, or COPYRIGHT.  We have created this scenario
> for well meaning users, distributors and bundlers, and we must close
> it.

We're voting on a source release here, and it's ASL licensed. What's the
licensing problem in releasing the ASL-licensed source?

In general, for any library we link to, someone could come along and
create a GPL equivalent, it's not really our problem. It's the
distributors problem, and when we create binaries - it's our
responsibility to comply with any licensed involved - but that's outside
this current vote/process.