apr-dev mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r368769 - /apr/apr/trunk/include/apr_file_io.h
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2006 19:04:27 GMT
On 1/13/06, David Reid <david@jetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> Adding the "unused" param is useful, but of course it's compiler
> specific how we code it, so we may need some autoconf foo to make it
> truly portable. That said, having the compiler know it's unused seems
> like a sensible goal to me rather than removing them.

I'm having difficulty envisioning a situation where a compiler
optimization resulting from the fact that the pool argument to the
remove and rename functions is unused could actually be noticable in
practice.

Regardless, that's not what Mladen's change did, he just updated the
documentation to indicate the you can pass anything you want for the
pool agument, which IMO can only hurt us if someday down the road we
do need to allocate memory in an implementation of these functions.

-garrett