apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: New apr_stat/apr_dir_read behavior
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:48:29 GMT
Andreas thanks for a very enlightning analysis...

Andreas Magnusson wrote:
> Why this is done I do not know.

Well, the auto-group Everyone is used to evaluate the unix 'world' ownership
permission.  Sort of crufty emulation, yes, but needed something.

Long term ACL's in a truly generic/crossplatform implementation are needed.

> But I think that
> is the quest for another discussion, perhaps on the Subversion list.

LOL now why would that be?

Have 1/2 a mind to veto all offlist patches for a while, seeing as there
is no record, no history of how we came to the decisions to change the code.
These are usually the (few and far between) patches that get us in the most
trouble down the road.

Please keep the discussion on an appropriate list.

If you would like to see 1.2.3 (or 1.3.0) 'corrected' please offer a patch.
If you are asking for a backport to 0.9.8-dev, we would consider that as well
as long as there's no change to ABI and no change to the 'expected' behavior
of the functions.  Or, we have to add an ugly apr_foo_ex() which corresponds
to new 1.2 code.

We hope someday soon 0.9 goes away, but with so many 2.0 apache and current
svn installed users, it will take some time, yet.

Bill