apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r368769 - /apr/apr/trunk/include/apr_file_io.h
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:21:25 GMT
Garrett Rooney wrote:

>>Log:
>>Mark pool param for apr_file_remove and apr_file_rename
>>as unused (because it is).
>>Perhaps some day it will be removed from the API.
>
> I'm not sure how I feel about this.  The pool could potentially be
> used for temporary allocation some day, if we port to a platform that
> happens to require it.  Encouraging people to just pass random things
> in place of the pool argument seems like a bad idea.

Right, make sense in that case.
There are also few other functions that have pool
as a param but never use it like
apr_env_delete or apr_dir_remove.

The question is if they'll be ever used, or particularly,
can someone write the implementation without using pool.
Since the return value from those functions is int, I'm
almost sure they could be, by using stack for temp storage,
and further more since no additional object is created that would
require cleanup.

I think they were simply over engineered initially.

Regards,
Mladen.