apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Suggestion/Question] serial and parallel ports
Date Sat, 10 Dec 2005 13:33:46 GMT
On 12/9/05, Diego Jacobi <djacobi@arnet.com.ar> wrote:
> hi, i want to suscribe just to post a suggestion, recibe an answer, and
> then unsuscribe. It makes hard to post suggestion or a simple question.

the requirement surely helps with spam since a moderator has to
explicitly approve a post by an unsubscriber

> I am an student of electronic enginiering of Argentina, and i am finding
> a good and portable API like APR but with capabilities to handle serial
> and parallel ports. this is my suggestion.
>
> And my question is if you have plans to implement this.

There are no such group plans, but that doesn't prevent somebody
offering up a solution to the group for consideration.

Some concerns for any potential APR feature:

* How platform-specific is the implementation? (beyond Windows vs.
Unix vs. Netware vs. anything else, is it going to take
platform-specific skills to get the code working?)
* How many people actually care?

If it takes platform-specific effort and hardly anybody cares, we're
left with interfaces that a user can't expect to work, meaning we have
unhappy users which most of us can't help.

You could always create a library which itself utilizes APR if you
think current APR features are a good match for what is required for
serial port programming.