apr-dev mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: New apr_stat/apr_dir_read behavior
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:14:21 GMT
On 12/12/05, Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:

> > Should functions be allowed to return that status without saying so in their
> > doc strings?  I wonder if there's much point in returning it unless callers
> > know officially that it is possible.
> >
> > When apr_stat() returns APR_INCOMPLETE, presumably finfo->valid tells which
> > fields are valid.  This ought to be documented.
>
> Agreed, I will look into making that change in APR.
>
> > When apr_dir_read() returns APR_INCOMPLETE, from an API user's point of view it
> > could mean the list of directory entries is incomplete and/or 'finfo' is
> > incomplete.  How is the user supposed to know?  This needs to be documented.
> >
> > Please could some APR person deal with the above points?
>
> Will do.

I just documented the use of APR_INCOMPLETE for both apr_stat and
apr_dir_read, see revision 356615 in the ASF Subversion repository for
details.  As far as I can tell the incomplete response just means that
the finfo isn't complete in both cases, so the response (use the valid
bitmask to check what part's ok) is the correct solution.

-garrett