apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Bundled hello world
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 22:57:09 GMT
--On November 8, 2005 9:41:30 PM +0000 Colm MacCarthaigh <colm@stdlib.net>
wrote:

> So, it'd be a helloworld.c (this is a solved problem), the autoconf foo
> for *nix, and build environments that work for the other platforms. The
> idea being that adopters would have a massive head start and be able to
> take it and start modifying it to create new apps, or to use it as a
> reference for existing projects.
>
> Sound sane? Or something that's better placed elsewhere?

Greg and I were chatting about this with Serf (which I recently auto-fu'd).
We pondered adding some auto-fu macros to find_ap[ru].m4 to help set up the
environment - something like APR_USE_APR that calls the APR_FIND_APR macro and
then does all of the 'silly' magic to make auto-fu use the detected
APR/APR-util.  As is, I agree that there is too much -fu required and there's
no reason that APR can't m4-ize it somehow.

I'd prefer that such an 'example' bundle be distributed separately from APR,
but it can be referred to in our release notes and on the website.  At first
thought, I would probably also prefer that such example code be released in
the public domain instead of having it under the ALv2 - but could be convinced
otherwise.  (I'd want zero strings attached to this example bundle; the ALv2
is essentially unrestricted though...)  -- justin