apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: apr 0.9 quirks and default --prefix value?
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 00:30:01 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> I'm noticing 0.9 has no default --prefix.
>
> I also note apr-util-0.9 doesn't find apr-config in the path
> (/usr/local/bin
> in this case.)
>
> Finally I wonder why we continue to require the path to a source apr image.

It seems silly to have to specify;

./buildconf --with-apr=../apr-1.1
./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-apr=`which apr-1-config`

when ./buildconf; ./configure  should just do the right thing.
The same issues apply to 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and also;

Do we want to fix things before 1.3.0 so that we begin emitting a message

$ make install
Error: Cowardly refusing to overwrite a newer, installed version of APR
        run  make FORCE=1 install  to overwrite the existing version.

$ make FORCE=1 install
[...]

to prevent folks from hurting themselves?  Obviously this won't be truly
effective until apr 2.0, but it's a start.

Bill