apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Win32 build files and eol-style
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:14:13 GMT
Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> I'd like to turn the svn:eol-style attribute off for the windown build
> files (files ending in .dsp, .dsw and win32ver.awk), and have them
> stored in win32 new-line format in the repository.

-1 veto, not vote.  They are TEXT.  Subversion allows you to check out or
export a win32/dos-style tree on Unix, so the previous CVS arguements are
all moot.

> The reason being that the current format is preventing me from checking
> out the repos I have on my unix box, and using samba to share the
> working copies with my windows box. That way I can check my changes on
> the two platforms a *lot* easier.

svn export --native-eol CRLF http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk

What's not easy?

> It would also have the advantage of making the source tarballs useful on
> win32.

Ditto, above

> The disadvantage is that people editing those files on unix will meed
> editors that support win32 endlines, and the commit mails will probably
> look ugly too.

Yes, and, consider a .patch text file.  On Unix, if the .patch file is normal
text (\n) and you've checked out binary crud for win32 mak files, the patch
simply won't apply.  Don't suggest a binary .patch file of some \r\n files and
some \n files, because then if you are patching on win32, it won't apply to the
plain text files (or you end up with mixed up \r\n and \n newlines in a single
text files).  And the mixed \n - \r\n .patch file is completely uneditable.

For that primary example, and dozens of derivatives, the answer's always NO!

:)

Bill