apr-dev mailing list archives

From David Reid <da...@jetnet.co.uk>
Subject Re: Bundled hello world
Date Sat, 12 Nov 2005 12:36:46 GMT
Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 02:57:09PM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
>>I'd prefer that such an 'example' bundle be distributed separately from
>>APR, but it can be referred to in our release notes and on the website.

I'm very much +1 for this, but agree with Justin.

> Since it's aimed at developers, that shouldn't be any kind of a problem.
> The only advantage to in-bundle is that it would get to piggyback on the
> httpd source tarballs and get deployed in lots of places were curious
> coders might casually come accross it. Of course, this is probably an
> inapproriate waste of bytes too.

Nah, it's not aimed at the same set of developers.

>>At first thought, I would probably also prefer that such example code be
>>released in the public domain instead of having it under the ALv2 - but
>>could be convinced otherwise.  (I'd want zero strings attached to this
>>example bundle; the ALv2 is essentially unrestricted though...)  -- justin
>

> This is going to need maintaining, not much, but over time, things will
> have to be changed. Not having it live in ASF svn would be a real pain.
> Is PD material currently hostable on ASF infrastructure?

If it's not we can host it elsewhere, but I don't see why it shouldn't
be hostable by the asf. I'd actually like to see us expand the examples
so that we have a few that cover some of the advanced features, and
maybe apr-util as well.

It's one thing that i think is holding back apr a little.

david