apr-dev mailing list archives

From Colm MacCarthaigh <c...@stdlib.net>
Subject Re: Bundled hello world
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 01:48:28 GMT
On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 02:57:09PM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> I'd prefer that such an 'example' bundle be distributed separately from
> APR, but it can be referred to in our release notes and on the website.

Since it's aimed at developers, that shouldn't be any kind of a problem.
The only advantage to in-bundle is that it would get to piggyback on the
httpd source tarballs and get deployed in lots of places were curious
coders might casually come accross it. Of course, this is probably an
inapproriate waste of bytes too.

> At first thought, I would probably also prefer that such example code be
> released in the public domain instead of having it under the ALv2 - but
> could be convinced otherwise.  (I'd want zero strings attached to this
> example bundle; the ALv2 is essentially unrestricted though...)  -- justin

This is going to need maintaining, not much, but over time, things will
have to be changed. Not having it live in ASF svn would be a real pain.
Is PD material currently hostable on ASF infrastructure?

I can see the ALv2 section 4 strings being annoying for some, since it
would be possible to consider any programs built out of the example a
derived work.