apr-dev mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Moving external lib independant code from apr-util to apr
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:14:44 GMT
On 10/24/05, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> If you are trying to avoid 3rd party library dependencies on db, xml, ldap
> and so on, perhaps we can make this code less fragile, or not require so
> many bindings when that code is not referenced by an application?

Personally, I agree, if possible we should move towards a system where
third party libraries are opened at runtime when they're used, rather
than linked in.  The dbd stuff theoretically does this, but in
practice the build system isn't smart enough to build the shared
objects, so everything gets linked in.

If it isn't possible to do that, then I'd like to see the parts of APR
util that pull in large third party libraries moved into their own
library (libapr-ldap, libapr-dbm, etc), leaving libapr as just the
portability code, libapr-util as dependency free code built on top of
libapr, and a few other libraries that pull in the additional third
party dependencies.

View raw message