apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving external lib independant code from apr-util to apr
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:02:29 GMT
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> On 10/24/05, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>

>>If you are trying to avoid 3rd party library dependencies on db, xml, ldap
>>and so on, perhaps we can make this code less fragile, or not require so
>>many bindings when that code is not referenced by an application?
>

> Personally, I agree, if possible we should move towards a system where
> third party libraries are opened at runtime when they're used, rather
> than linked in.  The dbd stuff theoretically does this, but in
> practice the build system isn't smart enough to build the shared
> objects, so everything gets linked in.
>
> If it isn't possible to do that, then I'd like to see the parts of APR
> util that pull in large third party libraries moved into their own
> library (libapr-ldap, libapr-dbm, etc), leaving libapr as just the
> portability code, libapr-util as dependency free code built on top of
> libapr, and a few other libraries that pull in the additional third
> party dependencies.

Right, but how that makes the difference over my proposal?
For example, take a look at apr-util's function apr_date_parse_http.

First of all the definition include file is apr_date.h,
so IMHO if both the definition and implementation are
moved to apr, from user point of view it will make no difference,
except that the function would reside in the apr instead of apr-util.

apr-util right now is *not* what it states it is, platform
independent utility lib, because of third-party dependencies.

Further more, right now, even in the apr itself there are lots of
OS independent code like hash, tables, etc..., so there is no
'political' reason that would prevent such a move thought.

Of course like Bill said, something like that can only be considered
for the 2.0 version, but in real life because one can not use the
apr-util without apr, it will not make any difference even now.

Regards,
Mladen.