apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: iconv - mistake #27?
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2005 15:37:24 GMT
Brad Nicholes wrote:
>    I guess I don't understand what the point of dropping xlate would be.
>  We already have httpd modules that depend on it (mod_charset_lite,
> mod_auth_ldap).  Are you proposing that we would have to rip the xlate
> support from those modules as well?

Some of our 'util' wrappers turn out to accomplish very little, yet they
introduce additional dependencies (in this case an LGPL dependency, on
some platforms).  But consider the value; apr_dbm gives us useful
flexibility and independence from any specific db store/library.
apr_ldap wraps out all the peculiar quirks of four or five ldap library
providers.  apr_xlate?

If we drop xlate, obviously those modules could directly consume iconv -
that would be the choice of the httpd project.

Bill