apr-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: iconv - mistake #27?
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2005 05:14:58 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Well... it's pretty clear iconv has no more eyes than three, and half
> of those are not project members.

I would question 3 eyes at all.  There is no doubt people use it in
large numbers(win32?), and that in the past we had enough developers to
support it, but there are not enough *active* developers right now.

> So, guess it's time, I'd propose we VOTE to eliminate apr_xlate, and
> iconv, from apr-util.  Especially considering that the current iconv
> implementations detected are more-likely-than-not GPL code, which then
> infects APR.

I am not sure what you mean by this. That when we depend on an GPL'ed
iconv implementation it infects APR?  AFAIK, Linux and OSX use the
LGPL'ed libiconv.....

> [ ]  Drop xlate, drop iconv
> [X]  Retain xlate [implicit - personally -I- will support bsd-iconv]

We have no choice until APR-Util 2.0. When we are ready for 2.0 for
other reasons, I consider this a major issue that should be addressed at
that point.

-Paul