apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Home for apr-based wrappers?
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:31:06 GMT
On Monday 31 October 2005 18:24, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Nick Kew wrote:
> > On Monday 31 October 2005 18:01, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> >>  [ ]  Weak integration, strong advertising, a CPAN-like repository of
> >>       everything, individually obtainable and installable
> >
> > I like that in principle.  But it needs round tuits.  If the httpd
> > experience and the various attempts to (find time to) build a better
> > modules.apache.org are anything to go by, it's likely to remain a gleam
> > in the eye.
>
> The more of us who have something vested in any wrappers-solution, by
> virtue of writing wrappers or useful classes, the sooner there will be
> momentum to create a wrappers-solution.  I'm not suggesting *everyone* with
> something to contribute will be part of that effort, just that you need
> enough loose stones on the cliff-side to create a rockslide.

FWIW, I see this as a job in two parts.  First we need the infrastructure
within the APR build procedure - something like apxs for building modules,
and a dlloading architecture like httpd/mod_so or apr_dbd.

The more interesting part, as far as I'm concerned, is the repository.
My suggestion there would be an feed, incorporating project-specific
RDF metadata in an RSS/1.0 feed.  This would then delegate responsibility
for keeping components up-to-date to component maintainers, who would
provide their own feeds which ours will poll in a cron job.
Then what we need is a query facility on the RDF metadata, which
can be implemented using the XMLNS framework.

--
Nick Kew