apr-dev mailing list archives

From Matthew Kent <m...@bravenet.com>
Subject Re: [vote] include apr_memcache into the apr-util trunk
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:29:38 GMT
On Sun, 2005-23-10 at 16:45 -0700, Paul Querna wrote:
> Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 09:23:02AM +1000, Ian Holsman wrote:
> >> I've been making more and more use of this library, and I think it would
> >>  benefit APR and it's userbase significantly if it was included in the
> >> core codebase in apr-util.
>
> +1.  I think it would be a great addition.
>
> >> I have used this code personally for:
> >> - a module to provide bandwidth protection over a server farm
> >> - to cache intermediate results off a busy server. (instead of using
> >> shared mem)
> >
> > Add to that;
> >
> >   - a very experimental mod_cache_memcached for httpd
> >   - a multicast RDP service
>
> Add to that:
>     - Object caching for Bloglines.com, with millions of hits per-day.
>     - Caching SSL Sessions across a cluster.
>     - Authentication Caching
>
> -Paul

Although I'm not an apr contributer I'd appreciate this addition as
well. Using apr_memcache in a module has proved very successful in
caching database results to reduce query load among frontend servers (10
million hits/day).

Btw, thanks for providing it and all your other modules Paul, I've
learned a lot going through them.
--
Matthew Kent \ SA \ bravenet.com