apr-dev mailing list archives

From Roy T. Fielding <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r265755 - in /apr/apr-util/trunk/ldap: apr_ldap_init.c apr_ldap_option.c
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2005 01:23:00 GMT
On Sep 2, 2005, at 8:30 PM, Branko ─îibej wrote:
> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
>> We have no need to support anything other than the latest updates
>> of Win2k and WinXP.  Anything other than that should not be running
>> a server and can continue using our old builds if needed.
>
> *Sigh*, yes, fine, but APR is used by stuff other than httpd, some of
> which aren't servers. Subversion's one of them. It doesn't use ldap,
> but does use apr_util.

Subversion doesn't need to support anything other than the latest
updates of Win2k and WinXP for the Microsoft platform.  Masochistic
developers don't use subversion.

> If the goal of this project is to produce a portable runtime, then it
> has to run on less-than-bleeding-edge machines (even if some features
> aren't available). If, OTOH, the goal is a portable runtime for httpd,
> then perhaps Subversion should reconsider its use of APR...
>
> (No, I don't think having different flavours of the APR DLLs for
> different versions of Windows is acceptable.)

The goal of this project is to release software that works on as
many platforms as possible.  The impossible platforms can go to hell.
If you can produce a build that works on older platforms, great,
but the other projects cannot wait just because we can't maintain
ABI across the last 10 years of third-party DLLs.  Find something
we can maintain across the next 10 years and stick with that instead.

....Roy