apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r265755 - in /apr/apr-util/trunk/ldap: apr_ldap_init.c apr_ldap_option.c
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 20:15:27 GMT
Roy T.Fielding wrote:

> The goal of this project is to release software that works on as
> many platforms as possible.  The impossible platforms can go to hell.
> If you can produce a build that works on older platforms, great,
> but the other projects cannot wait just because we can't maintain
> ABI across the last 10 years of third-party DLLs.  Find something
> we can maintain across the next 10 years and stick with that instead.

AFA Apache httpd is concerned, +1.

AFA Apache APR is concerned, -0.  Hell, MS can't even keep code building
for three years, never mind 10, with their major tool changes.  I'm now
struggling with mod_aspdotnet for 2003+ VC compilers, which cracked
everything (.NET-C++-wise).

That isn't to say all of APR should 'just work' when building to borked
platforms, but if a dev wants to restrict themselves to some subset,
then their app should 'sorta' work.

We are a portability runtime.  I never expected that we will be able to
support every BBF (backwards broken platform), but should probably be
able to offer some subset, and at least build "It Worked" apps.

Bill