apr-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@xbc.nu>
Subject Re: svn commit: r265755 - in /apr/apr-util/trunk/ldap: apr_ldap_init.c apr_ldap_option.c
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2005 01:59:39 GMT
Graham Leggett wrote:

> Branko ─îibej wrote:
>
>> I wish that were true. People use Subversion (client-only, of course)
>> on Win98. I could hardly believe it myself, but it's a fact.
>

> Enough people to make it worth worrying about?

IMHO, yes. at least, up to now, we've done our best to make the
Subversion client do a reasonable job on those systems. APR's been a
great help here.

Besides, AIUI this is not even about Win9x; NT and Win2k are affected, too.

> I don't think we should be releasing crippled software to work around
> Microsoft bugs that have Microsoft supported fixes, people should
> rather apply the fix.

As I said, I don't care if a particular feature of APR (in this case,
LDAP support) isn't available on older systems. But I find it
unacceptable that apps linked with APR won't even start on those
systems, even if they don't use the unsupported features.

> If it's impractical, we can always release a "cut down" version of APR
> for the benefit of older platforms, marking it clearly as a version
> supporting the older platforms only.

That would push an IMHO unacceptable packaging burden on dependent
projects. There's a perfectly good alternative that's used elswhere in
APR, that is, dynamic binding to OS APIs.

If people feel this is too marginal an issue, then I'd like to see a
note on apr.apache.org about which versions of which OS APR actually
supports.

-- Brane