apr-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@xbc.nu>
Subject Re: svn commit: r265755 - in /apr/apr-util/trunk/ldap: apr_ldap_init.c apr_ldap_option.c
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2005 03:30:17 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> We have no need to support anything other than the latest updates
> of Win2k and WinXP.  Anything other than that should not be running
> a server and can continue using our old builds if needed.

*Sigh*, yes, fine, but APR is used by stuff other than httpd, some of
which aren't servers. Subversion's one of them. It doesn't use ldap, but
does use apr_util.

If the goal of this project is to produce a portable runtime, then it
has to run on less-than-bleeding-edge machines (even if some features
aren't available). If, OTOH, the goal is a portable runtime for httpd,
then perhaps Subversion should reconsider its use of APR...

(No, I don't think having different flavours of the APR DLLs for
different versions of Windows is acceptable.)

-- Brane