apr-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: how to make apr_bucket_read() read only as much as I need?
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2005 07:07:37 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 06:25:23PM -0700, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>when reading from most bucket types you want to read all the data. This is
>>not the case with socket buckets, since the amount of data on the socket
>>can be anything. At the moment the code hardcodes 8K of data is to be
>>read. What do I do if I want to control how much data is read from the
>>socket?
>

> Why do you need to do that?  You shouldn't really care.

We do care, because we write a throttling filter for the smtp module, so
we want to slow down the spammers, reading 8K defeats the purpose of the
throttling filter (we read like 32B and then sleep), since most spam
messages will be consumed by the server side. that filter will be
available on CPAN once completed.