apr-dev mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: APR_ARRAY_FOO convenience macros
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:08:47 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 09:24 PM 8/15/2005, Garrett Rooney wrote:
>
>>So back in Dec 2003 Sander Striker suggested [1] adding Subversion's macros
>>for manipulating apr arrays (APR_ARRAY_IDX, which automates the casting
>>needed to access entries in the array, and APR_ARRAY_PUSH, which automates
>>the casting needed to add entries to the array) to apr_tables.h.  Roy
>>Fielding commented [2] that he felt the macros tied the interface to the
>>implementation too much, and Greg Stein replied [3] that they had to be
>>done as macros, not functions, because of the need to pass a type name for
>> the cast.
>

> IIUC, these are not typesafe?
>
> See the apr optional function and hook apis for true typesafe
> casts.

I must be missing something, but I don't see how these macros could be
implemented in a more typesafe way.  Could you elaborate?

The hooks code appears to be a means to store arbitrary functions and
then retrieve them later, are you suggesting that separate functions for
manipulating each type of array be created dynamically or something?  I
guess I'm just failing to see how such a thing would really work in
practice, or I'm just misunderstanding what you're suggesting.

-garrett