apr-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject KQueue Broken on OS X 10.4.x, was Re: APR 1.2.1
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2005 02:48:00 GMT
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> Seems to work fine my Linux box, but I'm having trouble with the tests
> on Mac OS X 10.4.2.

> Then, once I run 'make install' so the tests can run testsock seem to go
> into an infinite loop in the sockchild binary, it seems to be looping
> around the apr_wait_for_io_or_timeout in apr_socket_recv.  The actual
> testall process appears to be stuck in apr_proc_wait waiting for
> sockchild to die.  This appears to be the same problem that Justin
> pointed out with the last tarball.  This problem seems slightly more
> worrisome, and I'm a little uncomfortable voting +1 on the tarball as a
> result.
>
> Does anyone who knows the pollset/sockets code have any idea what could
> cause this kind of thing?

So, it looks like Apple screwed up KQueue in their 10.4 kernel.

libevent recently added code that attempts to detect this bug, and if
found, reverts to select:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/levent/libevent/kqueue.c?r1=1.24&r2=1.25

SO, it would be nice if Apple stopped being shit and fixed kqueue *and*
poll, but I guess all we can really do at this point is just revert to
using select on OSX.

-Paul