apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: apr_dbd
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 18:45:14 GMT
Garrett Rooney wrote:

>> The simple fix to (2) without breaking anything is to retain the
>> existing get_entry as-is, and introduce an apr_dbd_get_typed_entry
>> defined as above.  That would of course be an extra entry on the
>> end of the apr_dbd_driver_t struct.
>
> Can we really do that?  Adding an entry to the end of the
> apr_dbd_driver_t struct will change its size, and it's defined in a
> public header file, so I think that might be against our versioning
> guidelines, strictly speaking...

Hmmm, really?  Retain both source and binary compatibility but can't
release?

How about if we make a trivial change now by adding
APR_DBD_VERSION_PLACEHOLDER  /* reserved for future expansion */
at the end of the struct?  I'm just thinking how many slots to
reserve.  If you're happy with that, I'll do the deed.

--
Nick Kew