apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Single-maintainer platforms was Re: RTC killed the open source project
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:54:17 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> But, we're not trying to do an apr-util release!
>
> Our policy (discussed before here on dev@) is that apr and apr-util are
> independent libraries that need not share version numbers or release
> cycles.
>
> Hence, Netware is blocking the apr (not apr-util!) release when every
> other platform allows them to be split up properly.
>
> If anyone else could fix Netware, we would have done so.  -- justin

Releasing an apr-util alongside apr is a simple thing to do, so to say
that it's "blocking" an apr release is a bit extreme.

However making sure that apr-util and apr can be released separately is
a good thing.

Apr-util still has some lingering dependancies on the unix build system
within apr (like libtool and some other files). It would be nice if
apr-util could access apr cleanly via the apr-1-config mechanism, rather
than depending on build artifacts. This has been on my plate to fix for
a while, but time has not been on my side.

Regards,
Graham