apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: apr_dbd
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 23:39:33 GMT
John Vandenberg wrote:
> On 8/4/05, Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Nick,
>

>>As indicated in my post of a few weeks ago, I'd like to support typed
>>data in apr_dbd.  I posted a patch that would change (and break) the
>>API.  Since apr_dbd hasn't yet featured in a release version, there was
>>no absolute reason not to.
>

> I am not familiar with the existing purpose behind the apr_dbd
> interface,

Perhaps you should check the archives where this was discussed (it
took shape late last year).  And the mod_dbd page at httpd.apache.org
and its references.  And reflect on why, in the absence of apr_dbd
in earlier httpd versions, there are so many *different* modules each
making their own SQL connections.

>	 but it strikes me as odd that apr needs to incorporate a
> complex DB abstraction layer; a simple string based layer, like libsdb
> (lgpl), would suffice for most needs.

I'm not familiar with libsdb.  Currently we have a fairly simple
string-based layer.

> Also, if a complex layer is needed, what is the advantage of building
> a new one for apr; could libdbi (libdbi) or sqlrelay be used instead?

We've had a libdbi-based connection pooling module for some time.
The native APR layer is better-fitted to our architecture.

--
Nick Kew