apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: TCP_CORK in Linux 2.6: not broken, but it doesn't work with TCP_NODELAY
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:07:28 GMT
On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 08:56:38AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On August 23, 2005 10:59:47 PM +0100 Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> >The patch won't (shouldn't ;) make any difference to non-Linux
> >platforms, since the autoconf test checks for TCP_CORK and TCP_NODELAY
> >explicitly.  I don't know whether FreeBSD has ever or does currently
> >allow TCP_NOPUSH and TCP_NODELAY together, but it would be easy enough
> >to adapt the code appropriately if someone tested that stuff out.
>
> Ah, right.  So, the autoconf test will just fail on FreeBSD/Darwin due to
> TCP_CORK not being present - thus, having no real change to that platform.
> If we can figure out what FreeBSD/Darwin can do, we can then write some
> m4-fu to try to optimize it if desired.

yup.

> Isn't there a test program somewhere that I could use to see what it'll do
> in this scenario?

You can start with the test program Brian wrote, I've uploaded it to
http://people.apache.org/~jorton/sendfile.c but it would need to be
adapted to either use APR directly and to test APR behaviour, or to use
the FreeBSD sendfile() interface, TCP_NOPUSH, etc.

(I may possibly write an APR-based test program to demonstrate the APR
behaviour at some point and I'll post that if I do, but it might not be
any time soon)

joe