apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: TCP_CORK in Linux 2.6: not broken, but it doesn't work with TCP_NODELAY
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:59:47 GMT
On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 12:25:55PM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On August 23, 2005 4:51:52 PM +0100 Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> >Since 2.6 can enable both TCP_CORK and TCP_NODELAY at the same time, and
> >TCP_CORK will take precedence, APR can save two syscalls in the critical
> >path.  Objections?
>
> Looks fine.  One question: how does this apply to other OSes which also
> have TCP_NOPUSH and TCP_NODELAY (such as FreeBSD)?

The patch won't (shouldn't ;) make any difference to non-Linux
platforms, since the autoconf test checks for TCP_CORK and TCP_NODELAY
explicitly.  I don't know whether FreeBSD has ever or does currently
allow TCP_NOPUSH and TCP_NODELAY together, but it would be easy enough
to adapt the code appropriately if someone tested that stuff out.

> FWIW, I just couldn't make sense of the way that diff split up the context
> without applying the patch locally and reading the new function.   -- justin

Ah, sorry; can you see any way to clean the function up or is it just
that the diff is going to be confusing either way?

Thanks for the review!

joe