apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Creating .so with static APR
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:01:26 GMT
On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 01:32:27PM -0500, William Rowe wrote:
> At 07:07 AM 8/13/2005, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> >I have created a dynamic Apache 1.3 module with APR statically linked
> >in, so I know it is possible.  I have never tried loading multiple
> >modules like this into a single running Apache however.
> It's portable if we don't load each module LTDL_GLOBAL (?) but
> since we do, all modules are promiscuously placed into the global
> namespace.

For any self-contained module you only need to define global symbol, the
module entry point, so you should be able to hide any statically linked
APR by linking it with "-export-symbols-regex foo_module".

> The *right* thing to do in httpd2.2 is probably quit loading global,

Removing global symbol dependencies between modules in the httpd tree
would be a prerequisite to that, and that's nowhere near.  See e.g.
proxy, cache, ...

View raw message