apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: TCP_CORK in Linux 2.6: not broken, but it doesn't work with TCP_NODELAY
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:56:38 GMT
--On August 23, 2005 10:59:47 PM +0100 Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:

> The patch won't (shouldn't ;) make any difference to non-Linux
> platforms, since the autoconf test checks for TCP_CORK and TCP_NODELAY
> explicitly.  I don't know whether FreeBSD has ever or does currently
> allow TCP_NOPUSH and TCP_NODELAY together, but it would be easy enough
> to adapt the code appropriately if someone tested that stuff out.

Ah, right.  So, the autoconf test will just fail on FreeBSD/Darwin due to
TCP_CORK not being present - thus, having no real change to that platform.  If
we can figure out what FreeBSD/Darwin can do, we can then write some m4-fu to
try to optimize it if desired.

Isn't there a test program somewhere that I could use to see what it'll do in
this scenario?

>> FWIW, I just couldn't make sense of the way that diff split up the context
>> without applying the patch locally and reading the new function.   -- justin
>
> Ah, sorry; can you see any way to clean the function up or is it just
> that the diff is going to be confusing either way?

Not that I can tell.  The unified diff algorithm just breaks down horribly in
this particular situation.  Oh, well.  No biggie.

> Thanks for the review!

Thank you!  (Reviewing is the 'easy' part.)  -- justin