apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r209046 - /apr/apr/branches/1.0.x/file_io/os2/open.c
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2005 13:17:46 GMT
On 7/6/05, Brian Havard <brianh@kheldar.apana.org.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 11:15:51 -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
> >I'm not asking about Brian's patch, but how we are maintaining
> >1.0.x/1.1.x branches...
> >
> >Can we declare these 'dead'?  For all intents and purposes, anyone
> >building 1.2.x has an ABI compatible flavor that can be substituted
> >for a 1.0.x or 1.1.x version, right?
>
> Good question. I'm not really clear on what the state of the different
> branches is. I'm just committing all the way back to 0.9.x to make sure the
> next httpd-2.0.x gets these bug fixes.

I'm fuzzy when it comes to practical matters, such as who (if anybody)
is the benificiary of those other branches.  Aren't those theoretical
beneficiaries better off in the long run if we concentrate our efforts
on a fewer number of branches?   (But we have to have a versioning
policy that allows the fewer number of branches without slowing down
the implementation of new features unnecessarily.)