apr-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: apr_allocator_destroy infinite loop
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:13:59 GMT
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Wilson, Brian A wrote:

> I'm trying to track down an error when closing a program using apr.  In
> the jxta-c shell it calls apr_terminate upon exit but it ends up in an
> infinite while loop in apr_allocator_destroy.  I've traced it down to a
> point where the while loop is being called on a circular pair of nodes.
> Such that A->next = B and B->next = A.  I've tried adding an escape
> check to exit if it gets to that situation but that leaves large amounts
> of memory lost.  Any ideas on what could be the cause and possible
> solutions?

I'm guessing the best way to attack this is to figure out where the loop
came from in the first place rather than simply detecting it and
compensating after the fact.  There are a number of pool debugging options
you can enable that might help here... CC: Sander to comment on which ones
would be most useful in this particular scenario.

--Cliff