apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: APR nmake makefiles
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2005 20:06:54 GMT
At 02:08 PM 7/8/2005, Branko Čibej wrote:
>Mladen Turk wrote:
>>
>>Yes, but why?
>>What does a gen-build.py offers that can not be accomplished
>>without its usage?

or netware build scripts. Then count the number of people who are actually capable of doing
that. I think the gain will be obvious at that point.

I don't think anyone, Mladen or I or someone else is arguing that
Win32/Netware should not be -generated-.

The question is, with what?  What's the most portable solution
that works on the widest range of machines without a whole lot
of hassles for the administrator?

Don't get me wrong, I am a python convert.  But I sure as hell
am not going to install it on virgin HP/UX, AIX, etc for nightly
snapshot tests until we are certain it's the best solution.  They
are clean for a reason; the replicate a 'joe user's' initial install.

sed and awk are everywhere; some flavor of perl is most everywhere,
while python is a recent addition to this stew.

Of course, it's already installed on all my Win32 boxes :)

Bill