apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Recursive mutex
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:22:48 GMT
On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:37:29AM -0700, Henry Jen wrote:
> I just looked into SVN at 0.9.4(thanks Joe for pointing me there),
> that's pretty much what I planned to do. The trylock does not seem to be
> right though.
>
> However, I would like to know what's wrong with that implementation and
> try to figure out how it can be fixed.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/apr-dev/200307.mbox/%3c20030730230729.GA31874@manyfish.co.uk%3e

and the rest of that thread probably help, I think those comments apply
to the code as it was before it was removed.

I was finally motivated to throw out the old code and replace it with
use of POSIX recursive mutexes since doing so fixed segfaults in httpd
worker MPM regression tests on x86_64 with pool-debug enabled (the
pool-debug code is the only place inside apr/httpd where the NESTED flag
is used).  I don't know if those segfaults were directly attributable to
any of the issues I highlighted in the old code, however, just to keep
you on your toes ;)

joe