apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Dealing with types in apr_dbd
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2005 03:59:22 GMT
The current apr_dbd implementation represents all data as strings
(const char*).  This is fine with pgsql, mysql and sqlite.

I'm attempting to hack up apr_dbd for oracle, and it appears altogether
less happy with this approach.  So I'm contemplating replacing const char*
with an apr_dbd_datum_t, comprising an enum { string, int, etc .... } to
indicate data type and a union { string, int, etc } for the data.
That'll be something that can grow as and when someone implements
more data types.

I attach a tentative proposal (patch) for how this will affect the API.
Obviously the existing code will need to be updated accordingly
if we adopt it.

Thoughts?

Talking of oracle, I'm using the docs at
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/appdev.920/a96584/toc.htm
It sucks mightily: it's horribly self-contradictory, and in many places
downright wrong.  Anyone know of a better reference?

--
Nick Kew