apr-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <pque...@apache.org>
Subject Re: APR nmake makefiles
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:52:08 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 12:27 PM 6/28/2005, Mladen Turk wrote:
>
>>William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>

>>> Question; do we want to adopt (finish adopting) svn's build
>>>system coded in python?
>>
>>Are you guys saying that I would need a python to even
>>consider to build a APR from the cvs/svn?
>

> This is true *today* for everyone except Win32 (and netware?)
>

>>IMHO that would be a huge step backward.
>

> It's bit me.  I'm unlikely to be contributing much on HP/UX or
> AIX for the foreseeable future until I reengineer my entire
> build environment.  BSD is not much better, I can't even do
> simple scratch tests on the people.apache.org box.
>
> Yes we are *strictly* talking about running autoconf; once the
> autoconf is done, ./configure shouldn't require Python (right?)
> But alot of APR users want to live on the bleeding edge, and
> we want to encourage folks to make improvements/submit them
> back, which implies they live and breathe the svn trunk.

In these cases, maybe we should supply snapshots that already have
configure built? (this is a topic I have hinted at over in HTTPD land
too.)  Snapshots that don't have ./configure already built are pretty
much worthless.

And if it was all in python, it means the Release Manager could build
the .zip file for win32 releases all from one environment...

-Paul