apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: APR nmake makefiles
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:18:24 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 12:27 PM 6/28/2005, Mladen Turk wrote:
>

>>Are you guys saying that I would need a python to even
>>consider to build a APR from the cvs/svn?
>
> This is true *today* for everyone except Win32 (and netware?)

Yes, but why?
What does a gen-build.py offers that can not be accomplished
without its usage?

Having perl as a prerequisite is OK on *nix. Having awk on
a windows is not. Having .vbs or .js after XPSP2 is no go
on widows too, because of all those popus while running a
simple script. That's why I admire you move from .awk to
the simple .rc.

Like I said, the *nix build scripts are quite fine, even if
they require the python. But trying to push that to all the
platforms would IMHO lead to nowhere.

If you like something like that, we have a 'ant' build system
for that (that BTW no one uses). And Java is much better
language the Python is. OTOH you will need to download the
50MB for Java + 8MB for ant, compared to 8MB for Python, just
to build a 128K DLL. Quite bizarre, thought, when compared with
a 10K script.

Regards,
Mladen