apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: Move apr_xlate from apr-util to apr-iconv?
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 14:54:38 GMT
No true.  apr_xlate API is used in more places than just EBCDIC.  Mod_auth_ldap uses it to
translate user names to UTF-8 before passing it to the LDAP server.  mod_charset_lite uses
it to map charsets from one to another before send output to the browser.  This is extremely
useful on the NetWare platform when dealing with directory and file listings.

BTW, the NetWare platform also has a suitable iconv which means that apr-util builds without
any dependancy on apr-iconv as well.

Brad

Jeff Trawick wrote:

>>>no; apr_xlate works just fine without apr-iconv (when system provides
>>>a suitable iconv)
>>>

>>It does not.
>

> you misread my statement, but that isn't really the point...  (I was
> trying to convince you that the current arrangement makes a lot of
> sense on some platforms...)

I just browse the source code for the httpd and in 99% there is a
single need for apr_xlate API, and that is to convert from
ISO-8859-1 to EBCDIC if someone is using IBM at the first place.

So IMHO we can write a simple converter for that, and get rid
entirely of iconv dependency from apr-util.
Someting like apr_ascii_to_ebcdic should do thought.

If someone wish to use the translation mechanism, well, the
there is apr-icov project that should in that case provide
the full apr_xlate api.
Only mod_charset_lite uses the full capability of iconv stuff,
so what's the point to link the apr-util with the
iconv/apr-iconv anyhow?

Regards,
Mladen.