apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Revert svn commit 64143 - HP/UX shl_load
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 12:55:48 GMT
On 5/2/05, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> Don't pass BIND_VERBOSE to shl_load(), else it dumps errors to stderr
> by default.

> The dlerror() function on HP/UX does -not- provide any details
> of WHAT symbol or dependent module failed to load, on shl_load().
> Although error details to stderr are certainly not elegant, I'm
> not seeing any alternative to reintroducing BIND_VERBOSE.

sucks

> Because most cases are fatal anyways, the extra stderr noise seems
> a minor penalty for useful diagnostics.

apr_dso_load_ext() with new options parameter which can be used to say
it is okay to dump diagnostics info to stderr?  Apache might turn this
on; some other app might not.

Some fancy logic (not considered safe/simple/practical by me, but YMMV ;) )

try it without BIND_VERBOSE; if it fails:
move current fd 2 to some other fd
close fd 2; create temporary file as fd 2
try the load again with BIND_VERBOSE
capture info in fd 2 to memory for reporting on apr_dso_error()
close fd 2
restore old fd2 usage